Sunday, February 27, 2011

The latest abstraction

My wife liked my blue globe paintings but said she was always partial to reds and yellows, warm colors instead of cold, so that lead me (inspired) to try a red and yellow based spheres abstraction. And here's the result.


The thing is it's likely to get repainted because while I'm not unhappy with it I'm not happy with it either. I think I can do better. The blue spheres worked better because I purposely painted a light blue background and a dark blue background in order to show off the spheres, which are actually painted the exact same colors on each background. For this one I wasn't planning on a contrasting piece and so I failed to get the background right. It's basically a mid-tone color that by itself is very pleasing, but it fails to show off the sphere's! They are basically the same tones and look stuck on to me. Not enough drama in their modeling. So I'll probably paint over it and go with a darker background then repaint the spheres. But I may try putting a yellow corona around the sphere's first to see if that pops them off the page. It may, but if not I'll happily grab my sponge and some paint and got to town on it! But that's the nature of the art process. If everything came out exactly as you planned you wouldn't grow much as an artist, the creative struggle is where the real interest lies!

No comments:

Post a Comment