Friday, March 4, 2011

Re painting a Rainbow

After looking at and thinking about the Piece of the Rainbow painting I posted about previously I decided to give it another try. My original idea was to make it 1' wide but I had compromised on 6" wide because I had a board that wide already. So naturally my muse didn't appreciate the compromise and has been hounding me to make it like I'd imagined it. (I've been waking up at 4:30 am this week). So I went to the local lumber yard and got the right material and here's the result!


I like it better, much more impact for the room I think. And now maybe I'll sleep better.

A funny story related to this piece too. I had the lumber yard saw an 8' x 4 ' board into 3 lengths, 2 that were 1' wide and the left over 2' wide piece, all of them still 8' long. My plan was to stick them in my trunk (2007 Dodge Stratus), tie it all down and hope for the best. Well,I thought my trunk was a little deeper than it actually was. I probably had 5 1/2' of each board sticking out and bending over the trunk lip with the tips bouncing about 1' off the pavement. But what could I do? I had to get them home and Lisa was at work with the Explorer. So I tied the trunk down around it, tied a flag onto it all and headed home. I took the back roads and thought I'd made it when I got home and they looked to be the same as I'd left them. But on closer inspection there were only 2 of the 3 boards there. One of the narrow ones was gone! So I pulled out the remaining 2,  grabbed my battery powered saw and got my daughter, Chyanne,  to drive me back over the route I'd taken home. We soon found it and I sawed about 2.5 feet off right there in the street by the curb! Then it all fit in the back seat! 

The funniest part is that at home when making such a cut I measure it and mark it to make sure I get it straight and even and still mess it up plenty of times, but out there with the board laying against the curb, in the dark, with traffic going by, and no measuring or marking what so ever, I made a dead on straight right angle cut! My muse was helping me out I guess since it was also the perfect length and I used it for the painting without doing anything else to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment